Saturday, May 14, 2011

Strange Encounters

The news last week included the account of a truly strange encounter. Two men, in their thirties, met by chance on a beach in Hawaii. In the course of picture taking and small talk they discovered that they are brothers, separated in early childhood, and with no subsequent contact or information. Beyond strange - spooky.

I had a strange encounter this morning. My husband and I are in North Carolina enjoying a small family reunion to see our granddaughter receive her veterinary degree. I set out from our hotel for an early walk. I walked through a residential neighborhood and began to find my way back to the main road. I stopped to ask directions from a homeowner who was lifting a rented carpet shampooer from his car. With my route confirmed I answered his question about the reason for my visit. He told me how proud he was of the NC State Veterinary College and that he was in the habit of rescuing turtles which have been injured - perhaps hit by a car. He takes them to the vet school and leaves $20 in the hope that they can be rehabilitated. The strange part of this encounter is that my granddaughter has been President of the school Turtle Club, and an enthusiastic volunteer in the turtle lab. She has cared for his turtles. My encounter is not quite as strange as the brothers' in Hawaii, but strange enough to make me wonder why I took that path this morning. These things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment