Sunday, August 7, 2011

Moving

I have mentioned before that we are preparing to move.  Now it is happening.  We begin this move in earnest tomorrow.  We have done all that we can in preparation for younger and stronger men who will arrive in the morning.   We are experienced movers, but no amount of experience really prepares you for the loss of control that follows the dismantling of your home.  I have wandered through our increasingly empty house with an item in my hand that I want to pack with others like it.  But I can't find the others.  My husband packs more than I am wanting to save.  I throw out more than he is wanting to lose.  We create tension between "it might be useful someday" and "I haven't used it in a year".    I visited our new neighborhood this morning.  I talked with one of our new neighbors and took a picture of our new mailbox with our names on it.  Comforting moments reminding me that when one door closes, another opens.  This time next year I will be thinking about other things.  Perhaps a block party with our new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment