Friday, March 21, 2014

My March Madness

Sleep eludes me.  I know I am not alone.  Many others wander their home while family sleep.  I was saddened to read that the sleep-inducing effect of warm milk is an urban myth. Here is an easy to read summary of the current research. I will still warm my milk as I have for over 50 years. But this month the moon is spectacular - a bonus in an otherwise frustrating middle of the night. Tonight the moon is waning, four days past full.  The Algonquian Indians had a different name for each month's full moon. The names reflected the season cycle of hunting, fishing and farming.  The March moon is the Worm Moon signaling the start of spring.  Our lawn is alive with robins pulling earthworms from the soft, rain soaked soil. The nights this week are cold and clear.  The moon's light silver.  I have been lured outside for a better view.   April brings the Pink Moon named for the early blossoms.  In our neighborhood there are early blooming Daphne odora "Aureomarginata". the variegated winter daphne.  Daphne odora is wonderfully fragrant.  Its sweetness fills the air in the night, especially after rain.  It is intoxicating.  It will almost justify being wide awake when I would rather sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment